[OSM-talk] Species names

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Thu Jul 9 12:03:05 BST 2009

Fabrizio Giudici <fabrizio.giudici <at> tidalwave.it> writes:

>Thus, a good way to represent a species name would be a triple:
>"taxonomy name", "taxonomy year", "binomial name". Eg.
>"Clements", "2008", "Larus canus"

  species:Clements:2008=Larus canus

That also allows for other taxonomies to be added at the same time, and for
more general 'species:Clements' and just plain 'species' in cases where the
taxonomy is well-established, or the person doing the tagging isn't an expert.
(I would just use the species name on display at the zoo, and tag it as
'species', unless I were enough of an expert to be more specific.)

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>