[OSM-talk] A possible way to promote OSM

Jack Stringer jack.ixion at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 9 12:04:20 BST 2009

For the UK its GCSE and A-Level Geography students are the ones to
look at I guess.

Though I know we might not be able to use information from <11yr old
kids it still does not mean we can not help provide education
information to them. I know its not what OSM is about but educating
the youth in the wonder of maps should be a nice starting ground.
Because OSM are free it means teachers can freely print copies and let
the student learn about orienteering even if its only on school
grounds. You never know the teacher may put the information for the
school into OSM so that they could use it themselves.

On the wiki it would be useful to put all the information under
Teaching Resources and go from there.

*Sorry I keep doing this (forgetting to cc the list)*

What John was commentating on.
Make a teaching pack that would give them ideas on how they can teach
students about map making.

One idea is that they can map the school. Using walking maps they can
upload the hand drawn map and trace that.

If suitable permission could be found they could map their
neighbourhood or street.

When I was at school I loved maps as we have a collection of os maps
at home. After taking geography as a gcse subject I was disappointed
we never did much with maps. None of the students could read an os
map.

There are different target groups, primary school, secondary,
college/uni so we need targeted plans for each. If we get colleges
involved then we may breed new osm editors.

Jack Stringer