[OSM-talk] Species names

Someoneelse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Thu Jul 9 12:12:55 BST 2009

Jack Stringer wrote:
> My rule of thumb would of be label it in english rather that local name.
> But that's because I am english. Using latin would put some people off
> from tagging Zoos.

We'd better think of another name for "zoo" then (and presumably
catching the "bus" to get there is right out)?  The Finns* are about the
only people in Europe to have escaped the dash for Latin/Greek loanwords
over the last couple of hundred years - the rest of us need to get
inventing.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Seriously, though - I'd have thought that using the local name makes
sense as it's local people who are more likely to be using the map.
Outside of (former) conflict zones there shouldn't be too much argument
about what the local name is.  I'd certainly agree (joke above aside)
that using the latin name as the primary or only name is going to
confuse people.

* OK, after thinking about it, and the Irish and the Welsh, and probably
quite a few others with a similar liguistic heritage.