[OSM-talk] Collected Way support

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 9 16:41:35 BST 2009

I agree that it's a real issue. It's a pain assigning all the short ways to
a relation (which is what I've been doing this afternoon), or adding
information along a route (ie the number of tracks on a railway). However,
when I read the proposal, I could see that trying to use relations would
generate a fair few problems - which haven't been addressed.

But I realised that the problem could be much reduced if "temporary"
alterations to the tags could be done, which they can for individual nodes
(eg barrier=gate). And if they can be done for nodes, they can be done for
single segments, if the data model is right.

It doesn't completely solve the problem, but it could reduce the problem
significantly (at least on main roads like the one near me that used to be
called the seven bridges road...)

Richard