[OSM-talk] OSM TrustPoints

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 12:42:25 BST 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Ie. in Montreal someone accidentally moved a bunch of stuff (a newbie) it
> was reported on the talk-ca list, they messaged that user so to see if it
> was a bot or a person.  And it was a person, who made an error, then work
> begins to learn how to un-do the edit.  (Personally i don't know how, but
> it's easy to find out)  ... just ask :-)   .... and when i added a bunch of
> river names and accently had them tagged as towns, as soon as it got
> rendered someone told me about it.  (knowing its a test area... but it still
> got fixed)

Unfortunately not all of the places in the world are blessed with a large
community and not all of them follow talk-* lists (not even the local ones).
In fact I would say that (from my experience) most of them do not. And I
would expect that most newbies that want to contribute to OSM start by
clicking on the edit tab, not by subscribing to any particular mailing list.
So errors (deliberate or not) can be left unnoticed for quite some time in
these places.
I'm not saying we need a complex guarding system against changing stuff, but
some kind of a simple mechanism for protecting against common mistakes (e.g.
moving whole ways etc) wouldn't be bad. And if that's somehow related to
"experience" points, so what? You cannot drive a bus with an ordinary
driver's license (at least not in my country) ;)

Igor