[OSM-talk] OSM TrustPoints

Chris Hunter chunter952 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 17:55:06 BST 2009

I agree that the mentor process makes more sense than trying to implement
any kind of raw "points" system.  Project DP (http://www.pgdp.net/c/) has a
good framework in place that allows people to get their feet wet without
causing major damage to the project.  User access is divided into several
roles.  Once a user reaches a threshold contribution level at one role, they
are granted access to the next higher role.  Throughout the progression,
users with higher roles are encouraged/required to QC the work done by the
lower roles.

I'm not sure how many tags would be needed to implement this, but the way
the editors handle the tiger:reviewed=no tag would probably be a good
framework to build off of.

Chris Hunter
chunter952 at gmail.com

> From: Kevin Peat <kevin at kevinpeat.com>
> To: John Smith <delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com>
> Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:00:26 +0100
> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] OSM TrustPoints
> I don't realistically see an automated reputation system working given the
> community we have but how about a mentoring type approach where experienced
> mappers adopt one or more newbies.
>
> When someone signs-up for the project (or maybe when they make their first
> edit) they could be given a list of available mentors preferably in their
> local area but failing that you only really need to speak the same
> language.  The mentor could then informally review their first few edits,
> answer questions, give them tips and point them in the direction of useful
> resources, mailing lists, etc...
>
> Might be something useful for people to do who have completed mapping their
> own areas.

Kevin