[OSM-talk] Proposal 'man_made:tower' and 'communications_transpoder'

Simon Wood simon at mungewell.org
Mon Jul 13 21:25:55 BST 2009

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 18:53:11 +0100
Chris Hill <chillly809 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> During the discussions I and other pointed out that man_made=mast is already used, but the "process" continued.

Please don't take this as anything detremental against Chris or his
suggestions.... 'man_made=mast' and 'man_made=tower' are both in use,
neither is clearly defined on the wiki and therefore open to
mis-interpretation and confusion.

By raising the 'man_made=tower' + 'tower:type=xxx' I am hoping to
clarify the recommended way to tag these objects and hopefully make it
easier for new mappers and rendering engines to place them on maps.

Since neither tag was written up in the wiki, I have 'placed a stick in
the sand' with some suggestions on how to tag towers (communications/
observation, possibly more types in the future).

My main motivation is to sort the 'undocumented mess' out before I add
around 3000nodes from a database.

One great thing about crowd-sourcing _IS_ that the best solution wins
out, if that is 'man_made=mast' then great. But OpenSource and
crowdsourcing should also not be scared of fixing things can be done
better.

So lets come up with a prososal (which I have), vote and act on that.
Simon.

PS. What else do you guys expect of me, to write up a contrary wiki
page for the 'man_made=mast' tag and force a vote of that too????