[OSM-talk] The future of bugs in OSM

Mitja Kleider mitja at kleider.name
Tue Jul 14 14:15:44 BST 2009

(This is a reply to the original mail by SteveC this month.)

I created the new OSB because I wanted reliable access to the data. I think
that this goal was reached.

There is kind of an API, it is already used by the JOSM openstreetbugs plugin.
You can use it to create, comment, close or fetch bugs.
If other API features are needed, they can be added. The source code and
database structure is available.

I would like to see a bugtracker like this on the main page. My first attempts
to get in touch failed and I lost interest. Candid Dauth is currently working
on a client that can easily be added as a layer in OpenLayers.

I think the basic, simple to use and anonymous interface should remain for
unexperienced guests. After the login I would like to see an advanced
interface, for example allowing categorization, assigning a bug to yourself or
someone else, customizing number and categories of shown bugs and so on.

The current implementation is quick and dirty, there is a need of improvement
or reimplementation. If someone else wants to spend time on that, please go
ahead. I will help if I can.

Last, but not least, let me point you to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bugtracker_proposal

Regards,
Mitja