[OSM-talk] 'Distance to feature' maps?

simon at mungewell.org simon at mungewell.org
Tue Jul 14 20:36:27 BST 2009

> only needs an dijkstra algorithm and some more lines of code.

sounds so simple... ;-)

I had a look at the wikipedia page
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dijkstra%27s_algorithm) and that would look
to make sense.

I suppose the way to do it would be to break the OSM highways down in
unique ways which link junctions, so that each could be given a length
(following node to node) and then use the dijkstra to calculate distance
to each 'end' node.

This would also be good for producing paper maps with distance values
along the side of motoring maps. You just add the distances along chosen
route.

Not sure how this would work for multiple reference points, ie. nearest
bus_stop. But that's not what I asked....

Thanks,
Simon.