[OSM-talk] Undo request button for changesets

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Wed Jul 15 15:36:36 BST 2009

On Jul 15, 2009, at 7:10 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yann Coupin wrote:
>> I completely agree with Pieren here. Unless you're part of the happy
>> fews, if case of vandalism/error, you're forced to painstakingly
>> repair by hand the problems
>
> That is true, but we also have to look at the potential for problems.
>
> ("If everyone had a gun, it would be much easier for everyone to
> defend
> themselves, and the streets would thus become much safer for
> everyone."
> - Can you spot the problem?)

No, in fact, I can't, because you're using the wrong analogy. Try this
one:  "If only police and criminals have guns, it is much easier for
everyone to defend themselves, because when a criminal is threatening
you with his gun, you just call a policeman, wait for him to arrive,
and he uses his gun."

> If we make these things too easy, then they will get abused.

Do you realize that you're also making this argument:
"If we make map editing too easy, then abusers will edit the map, thus
we must put horrible user interfaces in place to make it harder to
edit."  One might argue that this has already happened.  :)  (just
teasing!)

> Also, it is quite a challenge technically as well. A good revert
> system
> would have to visualise what it is about to revert,

Fair enough!  Perhaps a revert should be couched in terms of a .OSM
file which you load into JOSM, and then preview?  If you like what you
see fixed, then you hit the upload button.  If there are conflicts,
well, then there are conflicts and you deal with them as any other
edit conflict.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - Twitter: Russ_OSM - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson