[OSM-talk] Namefinder

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Wed Jul 15 21:02:54 BST 2009

Jack Stringer wrote:
> Is there a reason why the index on Name Finder is out of date? On the
> search page it says last update Jan 9, 2009.
>
>>From the wiki[1] I get the idea it updated daily, but stuff I added a
> week ago, and several months ago is not showing up.

It should have been updating daily, but there were performance problems
that led to us suspending it back in January. Sands of time have passed
at alarming speed since then.

The good news, however, is that I started rebuilding the index on Monday
with some changes that will hopefully resolve the main performance
issue. Staring from scratch takes and immense amount of time, but once
it's running we can go back to daily updates. This is likely to take a
couple of weeks.

There is a secondary performance issue in searching which replacing
MySQL with PostgreSQL may address. So I will do some experiments with
that once we have a working system again.

There is a potential replacement or competitor in the wings.

At SOTM, it was announced that the Geocommons geocoder was being made
open source. This will probably also influence our longer term strategy,
though it's too early to say how yet.

So sorry for the interruption, but I hope to have things back on line in
a couple of weeks.

David