[OSM-talk] The future of bugs in OSM

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 16:55:33 BST 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) <
ajrlists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Any reason why we don't just put the bugs in osm. They could be nodes, ways
> or polygons and just have a suitable bug=description key value pair plus
> any
> other tags need (date opened/closed etc). I accept that the editors would
> need to handle the data a little differently and their might be a need to
> track closed (visible=false or perhaps a new visible=closed). Plus the API
> would need to able to deliver just the bug data for the API rather than the
> whole dataset for the bbox.
>
> It seems daft to me to go reinventing everything when we have all the tolls
> already.

-1

I see bugs data as similar to the GPX traces. It should be on a separate
layer with separate database tables, etc. I agree that we don't need to
reinvent everything (we can reuse components of the OSM stack) but as Shaun
said, bug data should be separate from the real data. Existing tools should
not be retrofitted to ignore such bug info.