[OSM-talk] keepright! goes global

Harald Kleiner e9625163 at gmx.at
Sun Jul 19 21:49:21 BST 2009

Hi Jack,

 > How much processing power are we talking of?[1] I could get my PC to
 > run the report for where ever the need arises to run a report.

I don't know your laptop but I don't think it would work well.

The North America dump and the Europe dump are equal in size (1.9GB), so
you can compare the two.
On my PC one run takes four days. That's why there's only one update per
week.
My machine is a cheap dual core AMD CPU with 6GB of RAM and a RAID0
built of two new hard disks. Critical components (bottlenecks) are the
disks. The database as a whole needs 70GB on disk.

And you have to take into account downloading the 1.9GB planet dump once
a week. Your traffic policy should allow that.

> Only
> problem is that I don't have the hosting capabilities to put in
> online.

You could just upload the results to my existing site. You need not set
up your own webspace

> Is it possible to setup some sort of cname re-direct thinggy so people
> could just go to keepright.osm.org or such like. That way it can be
> found much easier.

There is discussion going on on the mailing list about including
openstreetbugs into the main OSM site and enabling other services to
upload their bug reports into that database tables and thus make them
appear on the main site

Harald