[OSM-talk] keepright! goes global

Harald Kleiner e9625163 at gmx.at
Mon Jul 20 20:48:24 BST 2009

Hi Eugene,

> I have a question, how does the tool determine whether a set of ways is
> a "floating island" or not?

The motto of this check is "you can go everywhere from everywhere".

There is a set of starting points (highways in the center of big cities
that are well connected to many other streets) I picked randomly. The
check finds ways that are connected to these ways and thus finds a
(bigger) set of ways. This procedure is repeated until no more ways are
found. Any way that was not found is a floating island.

There are 30 starting points all over the world, one of them in Manila.

Please note that the check will follow any highway and ferries are
included, so it _should_ find islands as long as there's a ferry
connected to a highway on the island.

This check works best with a dense network of highways that is almost
completely mapped, as we have in Europe.

But anyway: First thing to try is add some more starting points. Just
give me a location and the map will look cleaner after the next update!

Best regards,

Harald