[OSM-talk] Do we care if its forest or wood? Natural world mapping ...

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 16:54:36 BST 2009

2009/7/21 Tyler <tyler.ritchie at gmail.com>:
>> In some cases they are so large that they're used to help orientate
>> yourself on a map. With out them the map looks less map like.
>
> Correct, Washington State looks naked as low zoom levels without its
> corresponding parks and national forests.

than you have to add more details (*duck and cover*) ;-)

> I think that national parks are a feature with particular implications to
> larger and/or newer countries--as far as rendering--(US, Canada, Russia,
> China, Australia, India, Brasil, etc.) which aren't particularly well
> represented in Europe? (that is a genuine question, I don't know the answer
> to).

no, you can find them in all civilized countries, but they tend to be
bigger in bigger or less densly inhabited countries. In Europe there
are lots of these.
There are also special ones to protect bird, animals, plants, ... and
there are different levels (european, national, regional, ...)

cheers,
Martin