[OSM-talk] Do we care if its forest or wood? Natural world mapping ...

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 19:20:49 BST 2009

2009/7/21 Milo van der Linden <milo at opengeo.nl>:
> May I suggest looking at what people at the CORINE landcover dataset
> have defined?
>
> http://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/COR0-landcover/at_download/file
> they have a nomenclature describing a classification that is studied and
> looks usable to me.

of course it is studied. And it surely is usable in some way, but as
far as I have seen (it's 163 pages) it doesn't deal at all with
national parks and other protective areas (that's also logical, as
this is not landcover but legal stuff).

For the landcover: as we have a different scheme (more detailed in
some respect), I wouldn't consider simply using CORINE for our scope.

cheers,
Martin