[OSM-talk] Do we care if its forest or wood? Natural world mapping ...

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Jul 21 21:31:08 BST 2009

On Tuesday 21 Jul 2009 21:20:49 Gustav Foseid wrote:
> Because is see forests as something fundamentally different from a few
> trees in the corner of a park.

That's fine, but the question is how to tag that difference, and whether people
can agree on the point at which you switch tags. Nobody can agree on forest
vs. wood so the tagging becomes essentially pointless. Look at highways - we
have a simple hierarchy we can all (almost) agree on around the world rather
than having endless variations of country lanes, service roads, etc. that are
represented by tags for surface, speed limit, transport options, etc.

If you're looking at a map, you can quickly see the difference between a few
trees in the corner (marked individually), a copse in the park (marked as a
small area of natural=trees) and a great whacking great big forest.

Regards,
Tom