[OSM-talk] i18n-rich areas on the map

Subhodip Biswas subhodipbiswas at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 18:38:30 BST 2009

Hi!

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 8:22 AM, Mikel Maron<mikel_maron at yahoo.com> wrote:

> There's a huge community of translators on the web. OpenStreetMap can work
> with them directly.
>
> Wikipedia, Global Voices, Meedan, and many more working on content.
> Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenOffice, and many many more working on software.
> Just a few weeks before SotM, the Open Translation Tools conference was held
> in Amsterdam :) (http://www.aspirationtech.org/events/opentranslation/2009)
>
> Translators are used to a certain kind of interface, typically lists of
> phrases to translate.
> We can build an interface more welcoming for translators, and tap into this
> huge community.
> They want to simply translate, not add new data to the map ..
> and as OSM grows, we're going to need to offer multiple interfaces to appeal
> to different types of contributors
>
> What I envision is a simple app, with a slippy map. Zoom/pan to the area of
> interest, select the types of things you want to translate, and submit.
> The app generates a list, with the name of the object, the localised names
> in the languages you're interested in, and a small inset static map for
> reference.
> Add your translations, submit. The app gets authorization through OAuth, and
> submits your changeset.
>
> Anyone interested in helping build this kind of app? Any other ideas? Let's
> do it!

One such good translation management system is Transifex.It provides
most of what we require here.For more details refer to
http://transifex.org/wiki/About.

However,Is it possible to have an app with  slippy map deployment that
does the following:
1.Click on the country or state(in case of multilingual country like India)
2.Get routed to the proper translation interface based on
coordinates.(For example on clicking on New Delhi leads the translator
to Hindi interface.)
3.Translate/manage/edit based on Transifex.

Just a thought .

--
Regards
Subhodip Biswas