[OSM-talk] Explaining to NASA why the ASTER data should be freely licensed

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 17:47:00 BST 2009

(Sending this to wikipedia-l & OSM's legal-talk too)

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason<avarab at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 9:15 PM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason<avarab at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, what we should do is to author a document (on the wiki?) which
>> clearly explains why such terms which restrict redistribution and
>> fields of endeavor mean that free content projects like OSM can't use
>> the data and will have to keep using SRTM.
>
> Since nobody (especially someone with legal know-how) has offered to
> do this I've continued to my correspondence with NASA/USGS/METI using
> my own know-how and miscellaneous bits I've scraped from the recent
> ASTER threads on this list for support.
>
> Below is an E-Mail I just sent to the NASA/USGS/METI people I'm
> corresponding with. I won't include the snippets I'm replying to since
> I haven't had permission to publish them, instead I'm going to replace
> them with little summaries of the original content. My summaries are
> one-liners while the originals are a few paragraphs so obviously
> information is lost in the process:
>
>> [What's this public OpenStreetMap forum you're referring to?]
>
> It's being discussed on the main OpenStreetMap "talk" mailing list
> (and some other foreign language lists, e.g. the German one). Here's a
> list to the thread I started there:
>
>   http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2009-July/thread.html#38235
>
> It's a public mailing list so you could sign up if you'd like, or
> continue corresponding with me and I could ferry information
> back-and-forth.
>
> In any case I'll be submitting what I send to you to the
> aforementioned mailing list, but I won't quote any remarks from you
> (@nasa.gov/@usgs.gov people) unless I have explicit permission to do
> so. So I'll modify this E-Mail so that e.g. the paragraph I'm replying
> to now will be replaced by something like "[Where is this being
> discussed?]" before I post it. But that's bound to cause confusion so
> having permission to quote you when appropriate would be better.
>
> I was hoping that someone with more legal knowledge would be willing
> to chime in but that hasn't happened already. I'm just a mapping
> hobbyist but I'll try to explain what would be about acceptable terms
> for open source/free software projects the best I can.
>
>   http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2009-July/038327.html
>
>> [Perhaps your intended use of the ASTER data is supported, e.g. if you derived tiles intended for some mapping software that would not be considered redistribution of the original product an could be pushed downstream]
>> [However if you were intending to distribute the canonical ASTER data as-is that would be in violation of the terms]
>
> I think I've correctly read between the lines of the download
> agreement in assuming that the purpose of that clause is to avoid
> Balkanization of the ASTER data, i.e. to make sure that NASA/METI will
> always be the canonical source for the source dataset.
>
> If the terms were changed to something like:
>
>  You are not allowed to publicly distribute the original ASTER data
> [...]

NASA/METI have updated their distribution terms with a FAQ in response
to my questions:

    https://lpdaac.usgs.gov/lpdaac/about/news_archive/friday_july_24_2009

Unfortunately the new terms aren't new at all, and they still look too
restrictive to be incorporated into freely licensed datasets.