[OSM-talk] Business listings

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 28 03:02:56 BST 2009

--- On Mon, 27/7/09, Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivan at sanchezortega.es> wrote:

> Well, I expect that information to be covered by different
> licensing terms in
> different countries. After all, OSM has a lot of experience
> bashing
> government agencies to get copyright-free map data.

In Australia in Telstra won a lawsuit against people OCR'ing the street directory and selling white/yellow pages on CD. For all intents and purposes Telstra owns the copyright on all Australian White/Yellow page directories and now Telstra is a publicly listed company.

Also in Australia it's not free to list in the yellow pages for anyone, it's free to be listed in the white pages though I think.

There are third party companies that offer local area yellow pages, they're cheaper to list with because they don't have the same critical mass, or mind share as the regular yellow pages has.