[OSM-talk] maxheight/height

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 28 03:26:22 BST 2009

I think everyone is thinking of this in one of 2 ways, it's either an attribute of the bridge, or a restriction of the way under the bridge.

The maxheight tag looks like it was aimed as a restriction tag, the way below the bridge is restricted if you are above or close to X metres you will need to travel another path.

I think adding a clearance tag will only serve to confuse things even further and I don't think we need to be redundant here.

Also I've seen different sides of a bridge signed as different clearances when bridges slope and one side is lower than the other side.

As for using a node to indicate maxheight, this seems to me to be a very clean way of dealing with it, since any routing software would only need one obstacle to reject that section of way and find another path.