[OSM-talk] Business listings

Paul Houle paul at ontology2.com
Wed Jul 29 20:22:29 BST 2009

Arlindo Pereira wrote:
> I strongly disagree with you on this point. If I could use Google Maps
> to find plumbers, dentists and web designers, why shouldn't I be able
> to do it with OpenStreetMap? Perhaps not on Garmin, but on OSM.org or
> OpenStreetBrowser or whatever application that uses OSM data. Maybe
> it's just a matter of making Garmin ignore it.

    I don't have a problem with having the other business listings there
IF having them doesn't compromise the quality of the business listings I
actually want.

    Already my handheld has a menu that lets me select for major
categories,  so I won't find zoos while looking for gas stations.
(Though it would be nice to say NO PIZZA,  NO SUBS,  and sometimes NO
CHINESE FOOD...)

    I see it more as a matter of resources and business model.  If
there's a way to get good data for everything,  great -- if not,  I
think it's OK to focus on areas where there's a strong need.