[OSM-talk] Tagging Love Hotels ("Brazilian Motels")

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 29 22:17:59 BST 2009

Joseph Scanlan schrieb:
> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
>> Well, I would tag them completely differently. It is a different kind
>> of object, it is not a Motel where you just pay according to a
>> different fee system / business modell.
>
> Around here I would not use a separate tag.  No-Tell Motels must show a
> little discretion.  Hourly rate is a pretty clear hint as to what people
> are doing there (not sleeping) but it still looks like a motel on the
> outside.
>
> Places that are more open could very well have businesses that deserve a
> special tag.  For example, I wouldn't tag any business in Clark County
> as a brothel, the brothels look like other businesses and the
> prostitutes will go somewhere else when the location draws too much
> attention from law enforcement.  In other Nevada counties, were
> prostitution is legal, a brothel tag makes sense.  These are clearly
> labeled, well established businesses.
>
> Just my point of view from a rather atypical city in the US desert south
> west.

You seem to think about an "inofficial brothel", as prostitution is
illegal in some parts of nevada.

IIRC the brazilian "love hotels" are often used by "regular couples" (so
probably no "business" involved). Because the couple still lives at
their parents, not married, or whatever. IIRC, this kind of "motel" is
also known in japan.

Yes, I guess it makes sense to tag them special, as a normal traveller
probably wouldn't want to stay there.

As we already have amenity=brothel, why not use amenity=love_hotel for this?

Regards, ULFL