[OSM-talk] Best-practice-idea traffic_sign

marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 30 07:44:32 BST 2009

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 02:08:28 +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I know about others: maxspeedtype=ITA:city
> for example, or maxspeed=DE:walk
>
> I don't understand why key:country=value is different to
key=country:value
> but I would like to learn about it.

In that one case it's okay.
Reason:
* There can only be ONE maxspeed on a road. ever!
* What is tagged here is not a given speed-limitation
  but the fact that the default maxspeed of the country
  of italy for roads inside cities applies.

I don't know anyone who actually evaluates that yet
but given the disastrous state of missing city-polygons
it may help in speed/time based routing-metrics.
However as opposed to city-polygons it does not act
as a city-limit to make postal address-searches better.
(So you could get a more realistic ETA but get swamped
 with way too many roads that may be the one you want to
 navigate when searching for your destination.)

Marcus