[OSM-talk] Layer transitions

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 10:15:25 BST 2009

2009/7/30 "Marc Schütz" <schuetzm at gmx.net>:
>> this might be a logical topic: we are mapping the center of the road.
>> The tunnel can not end at the center of the crossing road, because
>> this road itself is not a tunnel. (you will have at least half the
>> width of the crossing road untunneled).
>
> No, IMO we're mapping the entire road, but represent it by a line located at the middle. This is a subtile but important difference;

yes, I agree with this, but it doesn't IMHO extend the tunnels beyond
their real extension. I personally wouldn't think: "the tunnel starts
right at the crossing and therefore I map it like this", but I would
rather think: "the tunnel starts at this projected point that is half
the width of the crossing road away".

> otherwise we wouldn't connect the incoming ways at a crossing, because they end at the edge of the road, not in the middle.

why not? Who tells you that the road ends at the edge and not in the
middle? If both roads continue on both ends, would you say that the
center (crossing) belongs to neither road because they both end at the
edge? I would say it belongs to both roads.

cheers,
Martin