[OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Clearance

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Thu Jul 30 10:17:02 BST 2009

On 30/07/09 09:26, Aun Johnsen (via Webmail) wrote:
> much more. Since many countries have two different signs for max legal
> height and max physical height, and its usages can be very different, why
> not allow this in tags?

Can you provide sample images for such signs? I confess I find it hard
to believe.

The maxheight for a feature such as a bridge is the maximum height of an
object of the standard type that will fit under it. So for a road
bridge, it would be a bus or truck of the normal 1-lane width. That's
the thing people are interested in. If there's a sign which says "the
max physical height of a truck you can get under this bridge is 11 feet,
but legally the max height for this bridge is 12 feet", how is the
second piece of information useful in any way? For unicyclists?

Gerv