[OSM-talk] maxspeed tagging Was: Best-practice-idea traffic_sign

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 30 12:31:25 BST 2009

Lennard wrote:

> Exactly, it's a moot point, and I included it mostly to make the point
> that there are so many subtle ways to handle maxspeed, that it would be
> difficult to make an all-encompassing tagging scheme. At some point,
> you'll just have to go with a generalized solution.

The general solution is "maxspeed is the highest of the maxspeeds of all
classes of vehicle on that road".
See also the signs we have in continental europe when you enter a country:
there is usually a large sign specifying the maximum speeds on different roads
(within town, outside town, motorway). I have never seen a different sign for
mopeds, HGV's or vehicles with a caravan, it is always the maximum for all
vehicles.

Regards,
Maarten