[OSM-talk] maxspeed tagging Was: Best-practice-idea traffic_sign

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu Jul 30 12:53:24 BST 2009

Florian Lohoff wrote:
> maxspeed:wet:forward:motorcycle=50
>
> Afterwards add time based maxspeeds :)
>
> I think we'd need a generic way to tag conditional ...

Have you already participated in the syntax poll for
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extended_conditions_for_access_tags
?

It's basically there to decide whether to use colons as in your example
or switch to something like maxspeed[wet][forward][motorcycle]. Why?
Well, because those time conditions tend to have colons in them, too
(such as 15:30-18:00), and because colons are usually used in situations
where the order of the substrings matters - which isn't the case for
conditions, maxspeed[motorcycle][wet][forward] would be exactly the same.

Once we have decided about this, that proposal can be voted on (and,
more importantly, used) and we *will* finally have a generic way to tag
conditions. Then we can discuss the lane problem again. ;)

Tobias Knerr