[OSM-talk] definition of the main highway-tag

David Lynch djlynch at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 05:12:03 BST 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 08:59, Martin
Koppenhoefer<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The problem is that there is a continuous hierarchy of roads in terms of
>> importance, and when you get huge numbers of roads in the city the jump
>> From tertiary to residential/unclassified is too big and people tag
>> roads that aren't really tertiary as tertiary.  I'm seeing a bit of that
>> in Belmont (near Camridge, MA).
>
> well, I personally consider a tertiary road to be quite small, because
> it is only on the 4th position (after trunk, primary, secondary), so
> it must be of little importance, otherwise it will be at least a
> secondary street.

Agreed. When I've been tagging, tertiary roads are the street you take
to get from one side of the neighborhood to the other - residential,
but

To paraphrase a post in one of the US tagging talk pages on the Wiki,
this is what my tags end up being:

Motorway: More than one grade-separated intersection in a row

--
David J. Lynch
djlynch at gmail.com