[OSM-talk] Google StreetView From Bikes

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 31 07:01:16 BST 2009

--- On Fri, 31/7/09, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> But the point I was trying to make was more that of 'We get
> stopped and told
> we have to ask permission' while Goggle stick two fingers
> up and just carry on
> regardless. It is about time there was a level playing
> field, and just because
> one can throw silly amounts of money at a problem to make
> it go away should
> not be acceptable :(

>From what I understand the rules are as much about intent as they are about anything else, google's intent is to photograph streets for use on the web, they aren't intentionally going out of their way to invade privacy. If you were to do the same thing I doubt you'd get stopped either, if on the other hand you were specifically aiming to invade privacy that is another matter.

So from a legal point of view I don't think there is an issue, morally however it is a lot more merky but there is no laws specifically about it.

On the other hand people have filled legal complaints about them doing street view down private access roads and they should be taken to task over these things.