[OSM-talk] Layer transitions

"Marc Schütz" schuetzm at gmx.net
Fri Jul 31 11:01:42 BST 2009

> to make my question more precise, please have a look at this tunnel that
> crosses a railway track (the railway is a subway that runs at ground
> level):
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=48.1325961&lon=16.3109488&zoom=19&way=29205957
>
> The tunnel tag implies layer=-1

No, it doesn't.

> and that leads to a junction of ways on
> different layers on both ends of the tunnel.

Which wouldn't be a problem either. Layer is only relevant for defining the relative order of intersecting (crossing) objects. If the objects don't intersect, or have a common node, their layers don't imply anything about their relative or absolute height.

> On the western end of the tunnel the adjacent way ends, this should be
> no problem with the layers; on the eastern end there is a T junction.
>
> Do you think, this tunnel is OK the way it is or should someone add a
> small piece of way on layer 0 at the eastern end next to the T-junction
> to avoid a T-junction of different layers?

It is ok as it is.

Regards, Marc