[OSM-talk] definition of the main highway-tag

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 15:08:59 BST 2009

2009/7/31 Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com>:
> So probably the renderers need a way to show unclassified as less
> important than tertiary.

they (t at h, mapnik, cyclemap) are already doing this.

> And perhaps 'residential' should be redefined as "only used by people
> who are traveling to a location on that road or a less important road
> that branches off it", removing the 'residential' notion.

no, redefinition of widely used main tags (used according to the
existent definition, not updating the definition to common usage)
doesn't seem a good idea to me. I suggest to update your local tagging
guidelines (can't check them now due to problems of the wiki-server,
or your link was misspelled).

cheers,
Martin