[OSM-talk] When is a road a secondary road and when is it not?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Jun 2 17:30:30 BST 2009

I have used primary, secondary and tertiary to indicate relative
traffic levels on roads in Ipswich rather than any strict
classification. For example Landseer Road in Ipswich which is heavily
with lorries, buses and commuters, so bad that the council have
proposed building  a new road to 'relieve' it. I have now been asked
to justify my tagging by another mapper who has refered to the Map
Features page which states that secondary is only for "Administrative
classification "secondary" in the UK, generally linking smaller towns
and villages".
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Highway

Ipswich on OSM
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.0538&lon=1.1763&zoom=13&layers=B000FTF

My approach seems to be an approach taken elsewhere, for example in
Bedford, where every secondary road does not have a B number?
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.1344&lon=-0.4517&zoom=13&layers=B000FTF

Should we update the Map Features page or should we follow it more
carefully?

Any thoughts?

Peter