[OSM-talk] OSM based printed directory, possible?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Jun 3 00:30:24 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 17:16 -0300, Matías Iturburu wrote:
> Hello list. Newbie here.
>
> I work for a small press plublishing shop in my city, for a number of
> years we have been developing and selling the most complete map of the
> city and towns nearby, being the de-facto reference for all the
> citizens, bus and taxi drivers, as well as for tourist in town.
>
> Lately we have been interested in osm and, after noting that our town
> isn't in osm, we would like to upload all our catography to osm (it's
> quite a chunk of data). As a matter of taste we would like for the
> tiles on our (printed) maps, to be the same than those online.
>
> So the question arises, it is possible for us to have most of our
> cartography on osm and still being able to print (and sell) our
> directory?
>
> Take into account that at this point we are more worries about legal
> and "community" concerns that on technical stuff. Also, if you know
> any other experience like this in other countries it's more than
> wellcome.

Dear Matías,

Welcome.

I would expect that that community will welcome your donation to
OpenStreetMap of data for your city.  You might find that it takes some
time for you to understand the OpenStreetMap way of "tagging" geo
data.

While you may contribute data to OSM and that data would then be part of
OSM under the OSM license, you can also keep your own copy under your
own license to continue to use as you wish.

You might also choose to use the OpenSteetMap toolchain to render your
own local copy of OSM tiles.  If you do that you can certainly change
the cartography by changing the style files associated with mapnik.
That way you should be able to make your local OSM tiles look more like
the map that you are currently creating for your city.

Best regards,
Richard