[OSM-talk] How do we specify relative importance of features across all types of features?

MP singularita at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 13:25:32 BST 2009

>  Place of Worships:
>  Cathedral      amenity=place_of_worship importance=regional/national
>  Church         amenity=place_of_worship importance=urban
>  Chapel         amenity=place_of_worship importance=suburban

You can use some tag object_size, where you specify size of the object:

Catherdal    amenity=place_of_worship  object_size=100m
Church       amenity=place_of_worship  object_size=30m
Chapel       amenity=place_of_worship  object_size=8m

The larger object, the more "important" it is ...

The "object size" is not subjective (except for errors in guessing the
size) and would make good heuristics about what to show at different
zoom levels (large buildings are usually more important than small
ones)

While there are exceptions to this (perhaps some small chapel that is
very famous), I think this could be good starting point and it is not
subjective but objective.

Martin