[OSM-talk] Castles and Palaces

Nop ekkehart at gmx.de
Fri Jun 5 16:50:27 BST 2009

Hi!

Martin Koppenhoefer schrieb:
> No! A walled town called burg in English would be a Burg in German
> (and more specific a Stadtburg). There is nothing misleading. A
> fortress called burg in English would be a Burg in German. You can't
> pick one possible meaning in a 2 phrase--general-dictionary-definition
> to definitely proof something.

A town is not the primary meaning of Burg. And if you go for all
possible meanings - it means castle and is too general to be useful. :-)

>> If otherwise, please give me an example of a city that is actually referred to as a Burg today (not with "burg" in its name, but designated as a Burg ).
> burg in it's name is a perfect proof.

No. The name just indicates that the term used to have this meaning in
the middle ages. I don't know a single example of a town referred to as
"Burg" today and I am still waiting for you to proof your point.

bye
	Nop