[OSM-talk] Addresses and POI

Jack Stringer jack.ixion at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 6 14:58:27 BST 2009

OK, so copyright on the electoral roll is an issue.

I guess also because of the Data Protection Act I just can't get a
list from a business of the addresses (minus names) of their
customers.

> People, companies, organisations can already add anything to the database
> right now.  They could render a map (or pay someone to do it) with their
> locations on.

Without having to sign-up with a OSM account and then workout the
various apps that you need to learn to be able to add the info. If so
what URL should I be pointing people towards. :-)

The reason why I would like to add business locations means we have
another way to add postcodes and to give people reference points on a
map. If a company is willing to provide the info of where their
businesses are then for the moment I am willing to try and add them
into the OSM system (for the GB). Some businesses are likely to
already be on the system but without all the information we could add
e.g. they may have marked a restaurant but they may not of added that
it is a McDonalds, and added the full address.

I could try and make a list of firms that might be willing to provide
location information for their buildings. I could then try contacting
them and go from there.

Jack Stringer