[OSM-talk] How to present OSM to an audience of potential newbies?

Tim Morley t_morley at argonet.co.uk
Sat Jun 6 23:17:13 BST 2009

In a few weeks, I'll have the chance to present OSM to an audience of
youngish (18-30), intelligent, open-minded people, who more than
likely haven't yet come across the project. There may well be people
who are familiar with free and open source software, but that
probably won't be everybody present.

Are there wiki pages, slideshows, materials, ideas, etc. that you can
show me to help me prepare the presentation?

Failing that, how do *you* explain to someone that uses Google Maps
every day why you spend your time re-creating the same thing under a
different name? (Slightly provocative question, perhaps, but it must
be a very common one too -- what's your answer?)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim

PS The audience is also very international, if that makes a
difference -- mostly European (from all corners of the continent) but
also with some Asians, South Americans, and Africans.

PPS Sorry if this is a topic that's been covered before, but I've
only just joined the list (and the project) and I couldn't
immediately find anything relevant in the archives. If I've missed
something, please just send me a URL and I'll do the rest. Cheers.