[OSM-talk] best GPX collection tool for Palm Treo 650

Lambert Carsten lhc.osm at solcon.nl
Mon Jun 8 10:09:13 BST 2009

On Monday 08 June 2009 02:24:40 Michael Kugelmann wrote:
> Joe Richards wrote:
> > What's the best tool for collecting GPX trails and adding OSM waypoints
> > for Palm OS?
I don't know anything about waypoints. I take pictures and later geotag them
with the track I have recorded. I don't see what waypoints adds to that.

> A search for PALM in the OSM wiki
>    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=Palm&go=Go
> leads to:
> -
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Making_Tracks_with_Homebrew-ware#Palm_OS
>    + http://www.abmh.de/en/osm4treo/
>    + http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM2Palm
This one is great for viewing maps you have previously downloaded. It is
supposed to be able to log tracks but on mine it tells me I have to first
connect a gps receiver even though one is connected and osmtiles (the palm
application) is showing my position correctly. The developer says on his site
that he doesn't have any time for the moment so you need to be patient, but
it is looking good.
Another limitation (for me) is that the application to download and convert
the tiles is a windows application only.

>    + http://coto.marsrakete.de/projects/cotogps/
This is a very good application to give you info on your gps and make tracks.
Using gpsbabel you can convert the tracks to gpx files

>    + http://www.cetusgps.dk/

This one might also interest you:
http://www.raydarllc.com/

It is shareware. I haven't really had a chance to properly test it. The trial
version doesn't remember the basic settings so every time the application is
started you have to go through all the settings again. I generally don't like
wasting my time.

Lambert Carsten