[OSM-talk] Wanted feature for API 0.7 ??

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jun 8 15:04:11 BST 2009

Hi,

Peter Dörrie wrote:
> The current renderes wouldn't be able to handle it either and forcing 50+
> applications to change would be unappropriate.

Why, we're doing that all the time ;-)

There are many unsolved questions here. For example: What happens if
parts of the "ancient" world transcend your "fourth dimension", e.g. a
contemporary secondary road uses a few bits of an ancient Roman road.
They would surely share the same nodes, wouldn't they? But if someone
then deletes the secondary road (which he downloaded without ever
knowing that the Roman road also exists because that was shielded from
him), he must not delete the nodes because they are still used by other
objects...

There has to be a well-thought-out solution for this and I believe this
is likely to require every client working with the API to consider such
cases.

Bye
Frederik