[OSM-talk] Cathedral or chapel

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 04:26:24 BST 2009

2009/6/8 Blaž Lorger <blaz.lorger at triera.net>:
> We certainly need better solution than JOSM presets historic=wayside_cross and
> historic=wayside_shrine. But with your suggestion there would be hundreds or
> even thousands values for tag place_of_worship.

well, there are not so many different levels, but it might differ from
denomination to denomination, not to talk about different religions...

> Maybe we should just differentiate on size and build type: building hosting
> 20+ people, building hosting 1-19 people, built structure but person can not
> enter (wayside_shrine), simple marker (wayside_cross, painted signs) and no
> markings (it is just holy place). I guess we also should not forget tents,
> wooden shacks, ...
> Such places could also be areas.

exactly, and by the size of the area you could try to guess the
importance (which will not always be true in the case of small
buildings, but surely you won't find a huge one that is not
important). I think it makes sense to have the basic levels of church
hierarchy in our datamodel. Height of the tower might also be quite
interesting (and useful for 3D-Model-makers).

Martin