[OSM-talk] RFC - 'living_street'

USHAKOV, Sergey ushakov at int.com.ru
Tue Jun 9 10:49:26 BST 2009

Paul, thank you for being the first to respond to my post with the new
subject :)

OSM wiki is a great resource and really does clarify a lot. Meanwhile it is
"work in progress" like all wikis and still leaves some space for possible
confusion here and there...

The reason for my question and proposal is that there is a lot of confusion
and discussions between Russian OSM members on what should be tagged as a
'living_street'. I am personally not a supporter of mapping all garbage
collection ways :) But residential areas in Russian cities are full of
public un-named ways that are an important means for getting to the
destination, sometimes via a long and complicated path. And traffic rules
applicable on these un-named "streets" are very much the same as for the
named living streets. So it is really important for navigation software to
know about them and treat/render them appropriately.

Please have a look at this picture:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:Residential_area_way_1.jpg .
Officially it's an un-named way in a residential area. Does it qualify as an
alley? ;) What is the right word for it that you would pick as a native
English-speaker?

The most discussed questions are:
- is having a name really important for an object to be a 'living_street'
(say, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dliving_street
explicitly suggests no 'name' tag for a  'living_street' in Belarus)
- is being marked with a "residential area" traffic sign really important
for an object to be a 'living_street' ("living street" traffic rules may be
implied on certain ways without any signs)
- what may be other important characteristics of a 'living_street" as
compared to "service"

Any feedback is most appreciated...

Regards,
Sergey