[OSM-talk] Bicycle boulevards

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 13:55:53 BST 2009

2009/6/12 Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com>:
> When I checked yesterday, there were 9 highway=cycleroad, and more than
> 137000 highway=residential+maxspeed=30. I think I'd give a higher priority
> to a distinctive rendering of the latter (though hopefully someone will be
> tolerant of those of us stuck with imperial measures and use the same
> rendering for maxspeed=20mph).

and how many of those residentials have a cycleway=cyclestreet /
cycleroad tag attached? There are undoubtedly less cycleroads in the
real world than residentials, but as it is legally (at least in some
countries) a (new) own class of streets like pedestrian areas, it does
make sense to introduce them in OSM as well (IMHO as own
highway-type). I expect growing numbers of them in the future.
Maxspeed=30 doesn't meet the point at least in Germany (cars have to
adopt their speed to the bicycle-speed if present, bikes are allowed
to drive side-by-side and cars must drive behind them in this case).

Martin