[OSM-talk] Is OpenAerialMap service dead? Down, but not out

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 14 16:15:34 BST 2009

From: Russ Nelson <russ at cloudmade.com>

> It's pretty dead.  Combination of questionable copyright over the base
> data plus a lack of resources to really do it right.
>
> http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:tWX7VzUbGOsJ:openaerialmap.org/pipermail/talk_openaerialmap.org/2008-December/000055.html+http://openaerialmap.org/pipermail/talk_openaerialmap.org
> /2008-December/000055.html+site:openaerialmap.org&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

Whoa there!

Chris's message is a good summary of the state of things in December. Certainly that iteration of OAM is dead. The need remains, and there's a lot of interest in rearchitecting.

Ideas range from peer to peer tile caching networks, cloud computing imagery processing, to simple indexes of distributed tile sources integrated in OpenLayers.
In my view, we need to spec out phases, each one easily doable without huge resource commitments.

We started a page on the OpenAerialMap wiki to capture ideas, and write out a spec. Please contribute!

http://wiki.openaerialmap.org/OAM_2009

-Mikel