[OSM-talk] Proposed features: historic center

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 14:12:27 BST 2009

2009/6/16 Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com>:
> CBD is what the geographers call it.

according to wikipedia in north-america it's called "downtown" and
urban planners use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activity_centre
(CAD central activities district) as well. I didn't know about the
latter before but I find it much better then CBD, because it doesn't
literally emphasize on "business". I also read that "core" is a term
used in English as well in this context.

This is underlined by the definition in "downtown": "usually in a
geographical, commercial, and community sense" - please note they
mention "geographical" and "community" as well. I would like to add
topological to this list, at least in older cities, that developed
"themselves" in the time rather than having been developed in a short
period (like new foundations).

cheers,
Martin