[OSM-talk] openmaps.org

Eric Pritchett eric at bitsofclever.com
Tue Jun 16 17:30:38 BST 2009

Hi Everyone,

I recently donated openmaps.org to the Open Street Map Foundation.
Everyone here is doing a great job with this project and I thought you
could make better use of the domain.  Having said that, the foundation
owns the domain now and has full control on what to do with it and I
trust that everyone will make great use out of it.  However, I would
still like a discussion with everyone here on ideas on how the domain
could be used.  Although perhaps a big change I would suggest changing
the root domain from openstreetmap.org to openmaps.org.  I think in the
long term this would payoff.  Several advantages would include, but
limited to:

      * There is often a misconception that OSM is a street focused
        project.  I think this would be the most important.  It's
        amazing what a name can do.
      * This would allow you to have the flexibility to do things like
        streets.openmaps.org or terrain.openmaps.org, etc without
        sounding redundant (i.e. streets.openstreetmap.org or
        openstreemap.org/street).
      * More simple, shorter domain name and easier to say and
        remember.
      * Open Maps seems broader and make more sense when standardizing
        things.  For example, this terrain follows the "open maps
        standards" rather than "open street map standards" which may
        leave some people (especially new people) scratching their heads
        wondering what "streets" have to do with a just terrain map.

I'm sure there are more advantages, but I would like to be clear on a
one thing.  I do not wish to step on anyones toe!  Even though this is
my first post I figured the best way to get involved is to just dive in.
My intentions are only to try to help make OSM the best maps ever.
Hence, the donation.  Also if this is something that would ever happen I
would also suggest making the timing right.  For example, I think it
would be a good idea to make the switch with a milestone in the project
and/or a new look.  In any case, hi everyone :-) my name is Eric
Pritchett and I'm an IT Administrator from Pasadena, California, USA and
I hope to be more involved in the future.

Regards,

Eric Pritchett