[OSM-talk] openmaps.org

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jun 16 22:25:40 BST 2009

Hi,

Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Ok, the first time they refused it:
> http://www.ipo.gov.uk/domestic?domesticnum=2500154
>
> But since you tried again in two categories...
> http://www.ipo.gov.uk/ohim?ohimnum=E7366859

To the best of my knowledge, community trademarks are somewhat
transactional - if they fail in one country, they fail altogether [*].
Thus even if the community application has not technically been refused
yet, it would be rather unusual for it to go through.

Personally, I think that a failed trademarking attempt is the best that
could happen to us. This practically guarantees that nobody can take the
name away from us (because they'd have to get a trademark for this and
they won't), and at the same time does not give anyone, even if inside
our community, the power and responsibility to tell the others what they
may and may not do with the name. Sort of anarchy.

Bye
Frederik

[*] This is different from international trademarks, where you pick the
countries you want to apply in, and if it fails in half of them you've
still got the trademark in the other half.