[OSM-talk] North Pole

Patrick Weber p.weber at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Jun 19 13:28:43 BST 2009

The issue is not so much with the OSM data, which can infact deal with
the North (and South) Pole, but with the projection used for the display
of the data. The Mapnik Layer, along with all other common Ajax style
slippy maps (Google, VE, Yahoo ....) rely on the Mercator projection.
The Mercator projection has many positive features which makes it
suitable for a slippy map, but one major drawback is that a Mercator map
can never fully show the polar areas, since linear scale becomes
infinitely high at the poles. the other significant drawback is that
areas are not preserved, and scale is only ever valid for one specific
place.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercator_projection