[OSM-talk] call for brainstorm on "relations for rivers"

Dave G 9gerkin9 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 02:21:24 BST 2009

Roman

I've had some ideas:

New Zealand has many braided rivers that I gather are not all that common in
other places
the rivers can go from very small flows eg. 100cum to 3000 cum in a matter
of hours
they occupy very large dry gravel riverbeds.

SEE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braided_river

http://www.doc.govt.nz/conservation/land-and-freshwater/freshwater/upper-waitaki-braided-rivers/
Tagging the riverbank doesn't render very accurately as the river under
normal flows
looks way out of scale on the map (making them look like the Amazon, which
they are not)

I would suggest a tag eg: "river=braided" that would render the outside
maximum extent (as can be seen in the wiki)
a light grey filled *area* would be perfect as it would very closely
represent how they actually look in the environment

The river channel(s) could be represented in the normal manner
"waterway=river"

It is worth noting however that the river channels are not fixed and
constantly change their positions across the braided riverbed

cheers........dave