[OSM-talk] how are runways related to an airport/aerodrome

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 12:20:26 BST 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 7:21 AM, Madhav Vodnala<mvodnala at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> In this Mapping Features documentation page, it says add only
>  aeroway=runway  tag to the way to denote it
> a runway
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:aeroway%3Drunway
>
> As a result, you will see runways as the following.
>
> I have not yet checked it out, but it looks like the only way is to traverse
> all the nodes.
>

> Does anybody have an alternative solution?. I think adding new "relation"
> can address
> this issue.

There's no need for a new relations, that I can see. All the runways
have latitudes and longitudes, as do the airports. Does anyone know of
a runway that belongs to airport A but is closer to airport B? Even if
that was to happen, it could easily be sorted by putting in the
airport perimeters and working out which airport perimeter goes around
the runway in question.

In short: OSM is spatial, not everything needs to be a relation.

Cheers,
Andy